Triple chocolate muffins? For breakfast?
Yes, my friend. Yes.
Although I prefer my breakfasts to be salty rather than sweet, sometimes I get a hankering for chocolate and I have to whip something like this up.
Baking with substitutes in this recipe:
The original recipe I found and modified called for butter and eggs. I first tried using a soy-free shortening as a butter substitute, but all that yielded was some very dry, bland muffins that my kids just picked at. I then substituted oil for butter and had a much better result.
For my egg substitute, I used a flax egg (milled flax seed, 1 Tb + 3 Tb of water = 1 egg), which is what I usually do for muffins and most breads. Mix the milled flax seed in a small bowl and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes. When it is ready it will have a gooey, goopy texture similar to an egg. In this recipe I’ve forgotten the egg entirely a couple of times, and the only real difference was a slightly more crumbly muffin.
So let’s get down to it!
This is a recipe that’s quick and easy enough to whip up first thing in the morning, and saves well in an airtight container for snacks. The recipe makes about 18 tender, chocolatey muffins.
Dairy-free, Egg-free Triple Chocolate Muffins
- 2 eggs (I used flax eggs: 2 Tb milled flax seed + 6 Tb water)
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c non-dairy mini chocolate chips (I used EnjoyLife Mini Chips)
- 1/3 c non-dairy dark chocolate chips (I used EnjoyLife Dark Chocolate Morsels)
- 2/3 c cocoa
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c oil
- 1 c non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine milled flax seed and water for egg substitute and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla, oil, non-dairy milk, and egg substitute to dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined.
- Scoop into greased muffin tins, filling each well 2/3 full.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool before enjoying.
This recipe makes approximately 18 muffins.
This was my result! What was yours?